REEI’s Sustainable Healthcare Program started since 2014. It aims to promote Chinese healthcare sector’s sustainable development through fertilizing policy discussion and facilitating sustainable practices for the sector’s transition to a low carbon and climate-smart system. We have conducted policy research, workshops, exchange and pilot projects by working with hospitals, professional institutes working on health, environment and green building. We are currently implementing two specific projects: Sustainable Health in Procurement Project (SHiPP) and Hospital Cooling Energy Auditing and Demonstration Project.
The main activities for 2019 include:
1) Develop a sustainable procurement evaluation standard for health institutions
2) Conduct research and training on hazardous chemicals in hospitals
3) Conduct energy audit and energy-saving demonstration projects for hospital cooling system
4) Convene a forum on sustainable procurement in the healthcare sector (June 16th)
5) Write climate, energy and health-related reviews
6) Facilitate communication between Chinese healthcare sector with international green hospital leaders